Tips for Succeeding in the Music Industry
The music industry can be a very whirlwind, emotional, and rollercoaster place to make a living, but it is well-worth the hard work and time that goes into making yourself a successful artist in today’s music industry. To help you as an artist in making sure that you are successful no matter your place in the industry, here is a list of 9 tips to help you survive the tumultuous, ever-changing, but incredibly rewarding music industry.
1) Always Keep a Positive Attitude
- The industry can be very cutthroat, and you’re going to get a million “no’s” before you finally get that one “yes”. Never take things too personally. Therefore, it is important to keep a strong, positive mindset no matter the outcome of your pursuits.
2) Develop Your Craft
- Do something every single day to perfect your instrument. Whether that instrument be your guitar or your voice, you should do something every day to improve your talents. Some examples would be to take lessons, practice in front of a mirror, try to learn a new song, do vocal exercises to increase your stamina and performance, etc.
3) Be Wary of Who You Work With
- Unfortunately, not everyone you meet is going to have your best interests in mind. It’s always better to be on the safe side when working with new people that are assisting in your goals and dreams. Make sure to do your research on each person you work with, that way you can avoid scams, losing money, being stolen from, etc. Protect your craft and what you are working for.
4) Brand Yourself
- Know who you are and what you are trying to convey and represent in your music and social media. This goes into your entire image and sound, right down to your logos. Your fans need to have a clear sense of who you are and the message you are trying to get across.
5) Understand What Copyright Is and Register Your Works
- Buy all the books and textbooks you can on learning the music industry, but especially on understanding the legal aspects of the music business. Learning copyright is very important because you would never want to infringe or someone else infringe on your original creative works.
6) Distribute Your Music Effectively
- There are now companies that can help you easily distribute your music, such as CD Baby. Distributing companies are now at your fingertips and offer emerging artists a way to get their music in places such as iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, etc. And streaming services are now an integral part in how people will listen to your music today. Sites such as Apple Music, Spotify, and Pandora are the places to put your music and where you would be heard the most.
7) Focus on Your Social Media Platforms
- In today’s generation, social media consumes most of our lives. Therefore, it is so important to have a strong social media platform. Your presence on social media will really show who you are to your fans and this is where they will come to know and love you. It’s good to have the same color schemes and use of language across all social media platforms such as Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc, that way fans can get to know who you are as an artist.
8) Create a Team
- It is great to be an artist and to have an amazing talent, but you can’t do it all on your own. You need a strong team of people that can bring something to the table that you cannot do or need help doing. Useful people to have on your team are managers, booking agents, publicists, and social media strategists.These people are going to help make your life much easier and you will be able to focus on your craft without worrying so much about all the technical aspects.
10) Have Fun!!!
- One of the most important tips I can give you for surviving and being successful in the music industry is to just have fun. Music is fun!! Performing is fun!! No matter the outcome of your performances or auditions and any musical endeavor, just make sure that you had fun while doing it. Because being passionate about your craft and having a good time while doing it is what the music industry is all about.
Blog Written by: Brianna Guinn